Tuesday, December 1, 2009

task2

TASK_2

I’m looking into maybe getting some work with a company like

http://www.thisisbrandnew.com/

I don’t really want to work for another firm for long, but I really need to get a working knowledge of large firms as opposed to working in my room or hot desk offices.

Right now I’m really unprofessional. I’ve got a really out of date website, zero web presence, a shoddy hotmail account, no money, a stupid haircut, no business cards, no business address and an undefined business practice.

Currently I’m finding work around the leeds/Yorkshire area, though I’m getting a few jobs from London. The bulk of work in the UK will be in London. Though Sheffield has a big film scene and there is a big push in the creative industries in Yorkshire – see Steve Smith.

PEST.

Politically.

The UK seems like the best place for me to trade from, I know the Laws, speak the language and have almost all my contacts here.
The bulk of work is in London, though there is a drive to bring work to the North which could make staying here work well. London is expensive, Leeds is cheap. London is international, Leeds is almost provincial. Pros and cons.
Most work will come through online channels, and there is very little physical ephemera/ product so legally it is quite simple. I need to learn about tax – self employment etc, but at the moment don’t earn enough for that to be an issue.


Econoically.

See above.
There is local consumer demand in the short term, particularly for smaller companies, realistically though the work is in London or abroad. Despite that most work is online it is important to be in the right places and they are generally not in leeds.


Society.


The UK seems like one of the best places to be because society is relaxed here to controversy. Having said this many other countries are just as relaxed and offer great places to work. I understand British people and their tastes, which are obviously different than the European or American audiences. It seems like the UK is the best place to start and probably stay.

Technology.

Technology is very important, particularly software and computer power. Luckily I have most of the equipment that I need at home. The issue is cameras as the hire of cameras/lights/track/tripods is so expensive that any shoots are going to have to be very planned/limited. I’m going to look into some organisations such as

http://lumen.org.uk/

To hire equipment through.

Also places such as

http://www.ntileeds.co.uk/old-broadcasting-house/

http://www.umbrellacreative.co.uk/index.html

for office space and subsidised hire charges.

No comments:

Followers

eyare